Monday, September 21, 2009

Lately I've been in a plastic mood.


Last fall Yev taught us how to work with Smooth-On 2 part plastics. I really enjoyed making molds (especially after taking casting). Lately I've had the urge to work with plastic again; however this time I've found a new type to work with--Corian. You might recognize Diane Falkenhagen's brooch on the right (it was on the cover of the latest issue of Metalsmith). I was shocked (and pleased) to find that the brooch is made of carved Corian. I had heard of Corian before, but never really looked into it. My parents just so happen to have some Corian scraps laying around in their garage so I grabbed a small chunk of backsplash to try it out. Hopefully I can play around with it sometime this week. I also checked out Corian's website. You can order samples for a couple bucks a piece in any color...including some of their new translucent colors! If all goes well I'll have to order some. Might even try carving on the lathe...

No comments:

Post a Comment